Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ode to My Childhood aka Video Downloads

WHAT?
This week we learned how to download videos from the internet to use in our classes. Our assignment this week was to post two different videos. I chose these videos because I thought it was cool to talk a walk down memory lane to some of my favorite shows I watched when I was little. The Miley Cyrus video was just a quick one I chose while in class but couldn't get it to delete.
SO WHAT?
The reason why it's important to know this is because many times you will find a video on YouTube or some other site like that, that will work perfectly for something you are teaching but if your not prepared they may just take the video down before you are able to use it and therefore your lesson plan is ruined. The internet is an unpredictable place so it is good to have things in a secure place in order to use them in the future not only once but for many years.
NOW WHAT?
I really enjoy using YouTube and now TeacherTube, not only does it give some diversity in the ways you teach but it just fun to have a little video to introduce a theme or a subject. It's a great tool to know how to save it on your computer and have the resource for years to come. Will I use this in my classroom? Absolutely.
VIDEO
The video this week called "Millennial Generation", it is a video asking high school kids questions about technology. It was kind of interesting to watch because it is similar to what I feel everyday listening to the kids in my school. Gone are the days of dolls and toy cars everything on kids wish lists now are electronics. In one way it is kind of exciting but on the other hand it can be a bit scary because we have the knowledge to do just about anything, it is just a matter of when. This video shows that it's important to embrace technology rather than shy away from it in fear. This is the only thing that kids know and will ever know in the future so us as teacher, parents or just other people in the world need to know what is out there and how it works to not only protect ourselves and our children but to use it for good and get the most out of it.

No comments: