Thursday, July 15, 2010

Up to Something

I've been here in Texas for two weeks now and have two more to go. I worried before I came that I would be staying for too long but now I'm not so sure about that because I am loving it here.
We have been staying busy and taken time to relax and even though that sounds like an oxymoron, it makes for a perfect vacation. We go on some adventures and then take a few days to recover and watch movies, rinse and repeat :) It's sooo much nicer than cramming everything into a few days.
We started out by going to a water park called Hawaiian Falls which got me into a swimsuit for the first time in who knows how many years. I won't even try to comment on that and it's best not to try and picture that one. Let's just say I hate swimsuits and have developed this thing in my old age of really disliking getting wet. I honestly don't know where it came from but I just find getting wet kinda uncomfortable. Despite all of that I really did have a fun time, honest! I enjoyed floating down the lazy river and the wave pool cause that's how adventurous I get sometimes :) My idea of living on the edge was not sun screening my legs hoping to get some color, unfortunately I got the wrong color, Lobster Red! Needless to say, so I'll say it anyway, we were all in pain for days.
The next week we headed down to a family reunion in a small town called Vidor, which is kind of by Houston. The drive down was fun and pretty but I felt like we were in the back woods where the Family Dollar store is hip and teeth are optional. I'm not passing judgement but it was a whole new experience.
It was cool when we got to Vidor because I felt like I had taken a step back in time with all the small shops, forties era cars driving along side you, and roller skating (as in four wheels and a toe break). It was awesome.
I've seen all sorts of nifty things since I've been here like a Walmart parking lot guarded by Mountie envious ladies on horseback and the greatest rest stop of all, Bucees where I got this amazingly awesome shirt*:

I mean seriously, their advertising is priceless


Besides finding humor in odd places we've been watching a lot of Robin Hood. There are a lot of shows that I love but there was never a show as addictive as this show. I do not jest when I say addictive either and at the risk of sounding as pathetic as ever, when the show is over I'm in mourning for days!


* I had no idea that this had an obscene meaning before I bought it, I honestly thought I was just getting a funny random shirt.