Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Why Are We So Afraid?



“For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and 
of love, and of a sound mind”



I hope you will excuse me for a moment as I wax philosophical but I've been thinking about this and wanted to talk about it. 
Why is it that we hold ourselves back from what we really want to do and be because we are afraid? Why is it easier and more comfortable to sit back in the shadows watching life pass you by rather than grabbing the bull by the horns and living your life and making things happen?
I am the one cowering in the shadows more often than not but more and more lately I'm wondering why?
What is wrong with telling people what you really think and feel? What's wrong with asking people how their lives are going? Now I'm not talking about all becoming stalkers and Nosy Noras or telling people they are ugly butt-heads but opening your mouth once in a while and letting people know that you care is something that I think we need more of. 
On my mission I became that sort of person. The one that could tell it to you straight and wasn't afraid of anything (for the most part) and it was liberating. Gone were the days of wanting to say something or ask a question but not being able to open my mouth. They were gone but not for good, coming home brought back the days of being too afraid. It really was one of the things I missed the most but have noticed that the more confidence I get in life the more it's coming back! 
Now it's not all great because I'm sure I've burned a bridge or two and more than one person probably thinks I'm pretty weird but why should I be to afraid to be myself because of those people? 
I used to be embarrassed to have a blog but now I love it. That's liberating. I do things because I want to not because I feel obligated to others. That's liberating. I'm who I want to be not what I think I should be to please others and that's liberating! 
Don't get me wrong there's many things I want to say and do that I keep inside because of fear and there is some of my innocence that I miss. Life is hard and there are countless opportunities to get burned but maybe if we just trusted that things will work out for our good, embarrassing moments and all, life would be great not just good. And I may be wrong but after some time we will most likely laugh about it more often than cry about it and that doesn't seem like such a bad deal. Just remember to act out of love :)

1 comment:

Rosalee said...

I know how it feels to have things you want to say but to not be able to say them. I have lost some confidence in myself since I taught. I'm trying to find it again. I hope you know that I think you are wonderful! I would love to hang out with you again so we can get to know each other better. Keep writing! I always enjoy it.