Saturday, December 19, 2009

If I Were Rich


Everyone has fantasies of what they would do if they just fell into a fortune. I usually don't play through such hopeless games because really, what's the point? But. . . let's just pretend that it did happen and I just received a whole lot of money, what would I do? I would travel. I love getting to know new places and new people.
The only thing is I hate is being a tourist. Let's face it, if you are visiting someplace everyone else is going, is it really special? As cool as seeing the Eiffel Tower or surfing in Hawaii would be, anyone can do that. Being a tourist restricts you to seeing but not experiencing. I want to experience!
So, if I had lots of money I would want to travel to third world countries and serve the wonderful people there. I want to live among the people. That may seem a little strange maybe a little hippyish I don't know but I blame it on the mission.
By living in Ecuador I was able to know the people, see the places away from the world and get to know the real Ecuador rather than just the cool touristy things. It's because of this, I believe that I have such a great love of Ecuador and latin people in general that definitely wasn't there before. Something takes over me when I'm away from home and serving others. I become the person that I've always wanted to be. I become brave, outgoing, diligent, hardworking and happier than ever.
I become more Christlike and that doesn't just make me feel good but those around me benefit as well. Now it may have just been the missionary calling that made all that happen to me but it's going to be a while before I serve another mission so this is what I would like to do in the meantime.
I want to travel to Africa to build houses or schools or whatever.
I want to travel to Asia to teach English.
I want to travel to South American orphanages
to make a differences.
It really doesn't even matter I just want to go and serve those that could use my help. I don't have that much to offer except for a lot of love which I think is important.
Unfortunately even good intentions cost money.





No comments: