Sunday, August 1, 2010

Home Again

I'm kind of disappointed in myself that here I have finally had some adventure in my life and I feel I have nothing to write. I guess nothing would be an exaggeration. I guess my problem is that I'm having a hard time finding the right words to describe the time that I spent in Texas. It's a fine line between being to dramatic and cheesy and not getting across how significant this trip was to me.
A little background information might you see why. I'm the kinda person that can never feel totally comfortable in new places with new people as welcome as they make me feel. I'm the kinda person that when I get tired I get ornery and annoyed pretty easily. It's like I take a few days to warm up, enjoy myself for a few more days and then am more than ready to be home. 
It is because of these personality quarks of mine that going to stay with other people for a month totally freaked me out. I just knew that I would wear out my welcome, that we would get on each other's nerves, and after a couple of weeks I would just be dying to get home.
I only mention all of this because the trip that I had was NOTHING like that! I felt at home from my first day and enjoyed every day. When time was up I was not wanting to leave. I loved Texas and hope that someday I may get to move there but what I really loved about the trip was getting to know family that I barely knew before. 
Chesney and I grew up on opposite sides of the country and aren't close in age. I had always enjoyed her company but we really never had much to do with each other. I would like to take a bold step here and say that now that we have spend a lot of time together I would consider her my new best friend.  
Being away from home leaves you completely on your own to make your decisions. Decisions based on what you want and what you want to be rather than on what you've always been and what you think people expect you to be. It's slightly frightening but extremely liberating. I find I like that person much better than the one I am at home and that's why being home is sad. 
I am not saying anything bad about home cause it really is a great place but life here is so predictable and stagnant. I could live my daily life with my eyes closed, no thinking no feeling, just doing. Life is suppose to be exciting and challenging. I'm not talking sky diving and last minute trips to Europe exciting but the excitement of new faces and places. A change of pace is never a bad thing. 

1 comment:

Chesney said...

I am touched! You are my new best friend too!!
Thanks for coming! You are welcome anytime!! We sure do miss having you around!!