Sunday, October 2, 2011

LGA Day 5

A Favorite Quote


"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends. To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
                         --Ralph Waldo Emerson

I love that this quote let's you know that it isn't your accomplishments as the world would see them that makes your life special. It is who you are as a person and your contribution to society is how you treat those around you. History books may remember people for great accomplishments but the ones that are really revered and remembered are those that took care of the ones around them, the ones that knew who they were and stayed strong amid trails and tribulations.
I won't make a name for myself out in the world but if I can make those around me "breath easier" than I would be happy. I still have a ways to go to become that kind of a person but we all have something we're working on.

No comments: